Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Tranquility

It’s my kind of day today.

It brightly gray.

And the changing colors of the leaves seem more vibrant for being placed against a neutral background. Without the blue sky and pillowy-white clouds as competition the somewhat barren trees step into the foreground, their stark beauty unveiled. The gnarled limbs beckon us for comfort now that their progeny have fallen to the ground.

There is just enough wind so you feel its bite. There is just enough chill so you yearn for warmth. I long to crawl into the hollow at the base of the trunk and feel the peaceful, if cold, air brush the hair across my cheek.

Today I sat in the back of an empty conference room as dark and gray as the sky. I looked out one of the precious-few windows to see the American and South Carolina flags lapping their respective poles and the freshly planted pansies dipping their heads to avoid the falling rain. In the quiet I felt as though I were underwater surrounded by calm.

It’s my kind of day today.

It brightly gray.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home