Thursday, September 19, 2002

Observations and Musings

I have some thoughts on life, religion, love, and the like but I started this other blog yesterday so I finished it today and decided to go ahead and post it. I still need to sort through some of my other feelings before posting them.

Apathy

Apathy—something I absolutely despise in any form and right now it’s mostly what I feel. I guess I feel numb. Have you ever bitten your tongue just so it would hurt?

Advertising

This morning on the way to work I passed a truck whose side banner was advertising kitchen counter tops. There was an attractive woman, probably in her early 40s or so, who was dressed uber-conservatively in a black pants suit and high-necked red shirt lying on top of the countertop, hand propping up her head, in a very suggestive pose. It was like she was saying “Hey, middle-America; wanna do me on the Corian?” I laughed out loud.

On a billboard I saw the following advertisement for Carowinds Theme Park.

Scary - Anna Nicole Smith
Scarier – Scarowinds

Again, me laughing out loud. You see, Anna Nicole Smith is someone I just don’t get.
Even before she gained weight, which wouldn’t be so bad if she didn’t choose to wear such revealing clothing, I just didn’t see the appeal. It’s like Brittany Spears. Sure, they are/were beautiful to look at but they open their mouth and you cringe; well, I cringe anyway. Are American men so caught up in a tan, toned body, a great ass and a perfect pair of breasts (surgically enhanced or not) that they are willing to completely ignore what’s between the ears or rather a lack-thereof? Is there no interest in intelligent or at least interesting conversation? Everyone knows that the physical is ephemeral. Wait. Maybe that’s the problem; maybe everyone does not know.

I once had a conversation with a guy who told me that men can look at a woman and in two seconds flat determine whether or not they would ever consider being with her. I said what about personality, character, political leanings, a sense of humor, goals, aspirations, and religious compatibility? Don’t those count for anything? He said well, yes, but none of that matters if she I wouldn’t “do” her. I was so turned off by what I thought was his narrow-minded, extremely shallow way of thinking but then I thought…what percentage of men feel the same way he does? For that matter, what’s the percentage of women who feel the same way?

If the physical is all you’re after, what happens when the body starts to age?

I am noticing things about this “physical” that are making it obvious time is taking a toll, albeit at this point it’s a relatively small one. One day you are 20 and the next you are 30. It’s like 10 years passes in the blink of an eye. In my mind I don’t feel any different than when I was in college. Yet whereas I could get by with only 5 hours of sleep when I was 20 at age 30 I need at least 6.5 to 7 to function properly.

I was taking off my eye make-up a couple of nights ago while talking on the phone to one of my roommates from college. It was her birthday, she is 33; I will be 31 in one month and two days. I looked down into the drawer where my toothbrush, toothpaste, and all other manner of line-reducing creams filled with stuff to counteract the free-radicals that are apparently waging a war on my face. I commented on how I have noticed these little lines around my eyes when I smile and how I have “crow’s feet” in the corners when I squint. She said it only gets worse, especially after you have a child because the lack of sleep only emphasizes them even more. GREAT! I can’t wait! Hubby says no one can see them and that I really look like I am in my 20s. Of course, he is a bit biased.


National Public Radio

Every afternoon I get in my car to go home and I am torn. At the end of the day when I am tired and need a lift, do I listen to the funny show with cheap laughs and low-level humor? Or do I turn to NPR and try to catch up on the news from around the world with its sophisticated and intelligent commentary—decisions, decisions, decisions. I have been back and forth lately switching between the channels. I listen to All Things Considered until the commercial and then I switch to the funny show and then when they go to a commercial I switch back NPR. I need some intellectual stimulation to let me know there is more going on in the world than the drivel I sometimes deal with at work. On the other hand, listening to the DJ’s banter about the mishaps of their lives is sometimes just what I need to make it through the rest of the day.


Hmm.... Trying to add comments..... hmm.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home