Monday, February 03, 2003

Clumsy Me

It’s been a while since I’ve fallen down the stairs and this weekend I decided I should repeat the experience just to see if it hurts less now than it did the last time I fell.

It didn’t. In fact, being as I have added about five years to my age, I might even go so far as to say it hurt worse this time around.

This weekend we went to visit Hubby’s family to celebrate his Stepfather’s birthday. Let me just say up front, I actually LIKE (no, make that LOVE) my in-laws. We always have a great time when we are up there. They are extremely into music and so we usually dance, sing, and sometimes drink beer until the wee hours of the morning. They are extremely laid back about time and so it is not at all unusual to get to bed well after most of the world has headed off to the land of winkin’ blinkin’ and nodd.

This weekend was no exception.

Saturday night I got tired rather early, about 11:30pm, so I headed upstairs to go to sleep leaving the rest of the family to their usual rabble-rousing. Somewhere between 1:30 and 2am Hubby decided to come to bed too. Unfortunately, he was restless, shaking the bed and in general being annoying and I was awakened. So, after about 30 minutes of this I decided head downstairs to sleep on the couch. In my half-awake, half-asleep state I grabbed my pillow and forged out into the darkened hall and down the stairs.

At least I had the presence of mind to grab a hold of the banister with my right hand because I missed the first or second step and came crashing down rather mightily. I landed primarily the left side of my body (arm, shoulder, hip) but somehow managed to maintain my grip (albeit twisted) on the banister. K and B came rushing out to see if what had happened and found me sitting rather in shock at the bottom of the stairs.

Well, that experience is enough to wake even the most-sound of sleepers (me) and with guidance I made it to the couch. I tried to go to sleep but was still a little shaken so I decided that some chocolate-malt ice cream and my book would help ease me into slumber. I was wrong. After about an hour my body was letting me know it did not enjoy our little trip down the stairs. I headed for K’s darvocet since I had left mine at home. One little orange pill and thirty minutes later I was feeling drowsy enough to go back to sleep.

Sunday was not too bad and before bed Hubby massaged my back with delightfully scented oil. I slept like a baby. Today is a different story; the entire left side of my body is in a lot of pain. I am hoping a nice hot bath will relax me. I have a feeling that only time will ease this pain.

Ah, clumsy is the life.


Post a Comment

<< Home